Five Corners Pedestrian Project
The total project is expected to cost $3,700,000. This grant we are applying for will leverage the funding we already have funded by LA METRO, to complete the entire project without the need to phase the construction.
The project proposed to construct new pedestrian sidewalks on either side of Tremont from Clemente Avenue all the way to Five Corners. The road will also have accommodations for increase bike safety.
Complete Streets Project & Goals
This is a complete streets project. Complete Streets are streets for everyone. They are designed and operated to enable safe access for all users, including pedestrians, bicyclists, motorists and transit riders of all ages and abilities. Complete Streets make it easy to cross the street, walk to shops, and bicycle to work. (from Smart Growth America).
The purpose of the program is to encourage increased use of active modes of transportation, such as biking and walking. The goals of the Active Transportation Program (ATP):
- Increase the proportion of trips accomplished by biking and walking.
- Increase the safety and mobility for nonmotorized users.
- Advance the active transportation efforts of regional agencies to achieve greenhouse gas reduction goals as established pursuant to Senate Bill 375 (Chapter 728, Statutes of 2008) and Senate Bill 391 (Chapter 585, Statutes of 2009).
- Enhance public health, including reduction of childhood obesity through the use of programs including, but not limited to, projects eligible for Safe Routes to School Program funding.
- Ensure that disadvantaged communities fully share in the benefits of the program.
- Provide a broad spectrum of projects to benefit many types of active transportation users.
The City has partial funding for this project, which has been presented to Council and had multiple workshops over the last two years.
Funded by LA Metro - $2,221,000 total grant.
The City of Avalon's Five-Corner Comprehensive Pedestrian Project is a $2,221,000 METRO grant funded project proposing complete streets design improvements to the intersections of Tremont Street, Avalon Canyon Road, Country Club Drive, and Sumner Avenue. The project goals provide safer transportation access along Tremont Street and through Five-Corners for pedestrians, bicyclists, motorists and transit riders of all ages and abilities. The improvements include: new sidewalks, safer crossings, comfortable and accessible public transit stops, traffic calming, landscape beautification, and wayfinding.