- Planning & Building
- Planning Application Information
Planning Application Information
This process applies to all new construction, remodels of existing structures, and changes in conditions of use (CUPs).
Applications may be submitted at the Planning/Building window at City Hall, submitted online or mailed to:
City of Avalon, Planning Department
P.O. Box 707
Avalon, CA 90704
City Staff will notify the applicant that the application is complete and the date that the Planning Commission will review the application; within 30 days.
All applications require 2 sets of printed plans on 11-by-17-inch paper and one set of full size plans at either one-fourth inch or one-eighth inch scale and photo of the existing property location, and one set of electronic plans in PDF format. Application forms should be filled out completely. Applications will not be calendared for Planning Commission review until staff determines that the application is complete and no further information is required from the applicant. Review for completeness may take up to 30 days.
- Administrative Planning Application
- Curb Cut Request Application
- Planning Commission Application
- Preliminary Building Permit Application
All plans must include the following:
- A Site Plan showing clearly property lines and any structures on adjoining parcels closer than ten feet to the project property must also be indicate
- Elevations: All elevations (N, S, E, and W) must be shown with dimensions and applicable height envelope
- Floor Plans with all exterior and interior walls must be shown and all rooms labeled as to their proposed use and with dimensions
- Accessory structures or features such as retaining walls, driveways, fences, HVAC equipment, etc. must be shown. Planning staff may require landscape and/or grading plans.
- Utilities: All plans must show locations of utilities and be approved by Southern California Edison.
- Trash Storage: Locations of trash storage must be clearly shown.
- Off-Street Parking: All plans must show location and dimensions of off-street parking spaces
- Scale: All plans must be drawn to either one-fourth or one-eighth inch scale.
The Planning Commission meets the Wednesday after the second City Council meeting of every month, with the exception of November and December, which are usually combined into one meeting in the early part of December.