- Harbor Department
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- What services are available in Avalon?
Visit the Avalon Harbor Services page to see all services.
- Can I make a reservation for a mooring?
Mooring owners and their designees are the only people able to make reservations for moorings. For all other boaters it is on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Where are mooring assignments made?
All mooring assignments are made at the Harbor entrance upon arrival. Please stay outside the mooring field and clear of the fairway. A patrol officer in a red patrol boat will assign you a mooring in person.
- What is the speed limit in the moorage and anchorage areas??
All vessels must maintain a 5 MPH or wakeless speed limit in Avalon waters.
- What is the maximum dinghy length allowed at the dinghy docks?
There is a 14' maximum limit at all dinghy docks at all times.
- Is it possible to anchor in the waters around Avalon Harbor?
Yes, the City Anchorage is located west of the red jetty light on the Casino breakwater. You must anchor at least 300' away from any dive park or mooring can. Plan on a depth of 80'-120' in the anchorage. This area is not patrolled and you anchor at your own risk.
- What hours may I run the generator on my boat?
To ensure a peaceful coexistence, all generators must be secured by 10:00PM and not be started before 7:00AM.
- What is the departure time required to clear the mooring after an overnight stay?
On the day of departure, moorings must be vacated by 9:00AM. If you would like to stay later, please contact a patrol officer or the Harbor office before 9:00AM. There are ways to possibly extend the departure time.
- Does the Harbor have temporary docks where I can tie off my boat for an extended period of time?
All floats, with the exception of the shore-boat float, may be used for loading and unloading. Use of public floats is limited to 10 minutes only. No vessel may be left on a float unattended.
- What is Dockwa?
Dockwa is our new cloud-based marina management system that we are phasing in, to be used by mooring owners and lessees, for billing and document submission.
- May I go scuba diving in Avalon Harbor?
For the most part, the answer is no. However, there are some exceptions that must be approved by the Harbor Master prior to diving. Diving the Valiant and the Annual Avalon Harbor Underwater Clean-up are the two most common exceptions. There is a permit process so please contact the Harbor Office.
- May I bring my dog ashore in Avalon?
Yes, however there are some restrictions. All dogs must be leashed and under the owner's control at all times while in Avalon. Dogs must also be muzzled while while on the Green Pleasure Pier. No dogs are allowed on Crescent Ave. or on the beaches.
- Are open containers of alcohol allowed in Avalon?
No, there is a fine for having open-containers of alcohol on the streets of Avalon, the Green Pleasure Pier and floats.
- Why do patrol officers come aboard boats and drop a dye-tablets in every marine head onboard?
Protecting the pristine waters in our Harbor is a top-priority for The City of Avalon. We have a "Discharge Ordinance" which makes it illegal to empty a vessel's holding tank into Harbor waters. The dye-tablets dissolve and turn bright green. If there is a discharge, the green color makes it very easy to identify. We strive to make sure that every vessel with a holding tank that moors in the Harbor gets dye-tablets placed in all marine heads. We have a zero-tolerance policy for discharges and there are significant penalties for violating this ordinance. Please make sure that your sanitation system is secured while in Avalon Harbor.
- May I leave my dinghy tied overnight to "A" dock on the west side of the pier?
Sorry, in an effort to free up dock space for daily dinghy traffic, "A" dock is only for temporary tie-offs. This means that you must have your dinghy off "A" dock between the hours of 3:00 AM and 5:00 AM. Vessels tied to this dock during those hours will be impounded and must be reclaimed by visiting the Harbor Office.
- How can I dispose of trash that is generated on my boat while staying in the Harbor?
You may take your bagged trash to any dinghy dock. At the top of the ramps at each dock, and on the pier, there are trash bins nearby where you may leave it.
- What determines the overnight mooring fee for my vessel?
Overnight mooring fees are based on the length of the vessel, not the length of the mooring to which it is assigned. Mooring fees are also affected by the "boating season". We have summer-season, shoulder-season and winter-season special rates.